Brown remains open, with only personnel classified in various categories of “essential” reporting to work in person since March 16, 2020. To the extent possible, faculty and staff who can work from home — in full or in part as determined by their supervisor — continue to do so. All work location designations are assigned by supervisors in alignment with approved Return to Campus plans.
While these work arrangements remain in effect, all employees will continue to be paid and do not need to apply to University Human Resources for Alternative Work Assignments to telecommute (AWAs include a provision for alternative work location). Brown continues to support the safety of its employees, as well as to address their needs to care for others affected by the coronavirus. University policies are subject to change and may be modified as more information on the coronavirus becomes available.
Brown has established a COVID-19 Campus Safety Policy intended to manage all work that is authorized to take place on campus in a safe and orderly manner. This policy applies to all faculty, staff and students, and all members of the community are expected to become familiar and comply with it at all times. No member of the community will be able to return to campus, or continue to be on campus in the case of personnel already performing on-site essential work, until they have completed and signed an employee acknowledgement.
The policy establishes the following expectations:
- Department leaders continue to manage schedules with their employees based on the nature of their job assignments, following the COVID-19 Campus Safety Policy guidelines.
- Academic and administrative units that have not submitted a plan and that propose to resume any essential work on-site or have staff on-site for any reason must submit a plan for approval as outlined in the Return to Campus Plans and Guidelines webpage.
- As it remains a high priority to maintain a relatively low-density population of employees on campus, it is the shared responsibility of every member of our community to support the measures being put in place to maintain health and safety.
University Human Resources is available for guidance to support planning. This may include encouraging creative use of technology for some functions and services typically offered in-person, consolidating on-site operations into fewer days per week, etc.
Employees can direct general questions to University Human Resources at [email protected] or (401) 863-2141.
- Consult the FAQs for staff and managers below for common questions.
- For questions related to Alternative Work Assignments (AWA), please email [email protected] or call (401) 863-3896.
- For questions related to leaves of absence, please email [email protected] or call (401) 863-3458.
For guidance on working offsite:
Last updated January 7, 2021. Information on this page may be updated as the University’s planning evolves and/or public health guidance prompts a shift in Brown’s operations and protocols.