Students live full lives at Brown, engaging in a robust offering of events, organizations, clubs and activities outside of the classroom. For the most part, guidance and policy in this area will mirror that for academic classes — measures such as reduced capacity of spaces, social distancing, hand washing, masks and other public health best practices.
For the most up-to-date information on the status of events, activities and socializing, consult the policies currently in effect on the Campus Activity Status page, and also consult the Healthy Brown Event Policy.
Given the full range of extracurricular activities at Brown and the leadership role students play in planning and carrying out events, the following principles and recommendations established in the Plan for a Healthy and Safe 2020-21 remain in place for the academic year:
- Student leaders, with oversight and guidance from the Student Activities Office, continue to plan and manage extracurricular activities and programs in a manner consistent with University and state public health guidance and restrictions, such as maximum crowd size, face coverings and other social distancing requirements.
- Brown communicates with student leaders who need to monitor those communications as they plan events, given that public health guidance and social distancing requirements change frequently.
- The University is prepared for the likelihood that in-person events will remain limited and small, and travel to and from the campus will not be possible. Non-essential visitors are discouraged from coming to campus. Student leaders and the offices that advise them continue planning with those assumptions.
- Brown conducted a survey of student leaders and organizations with basic information about the anticipated guidelines and social distancing requirements, asking for their feedback and input about how they will plan events and programs, the challenges and opportunities they foresee, and the support they will need to be successful.
- The University has identified spaces available for extracurricular activities and programs (following the reservation of spaces needed for academics, given the need to locate classes in larger rooms than normal) with information about their capacity and other characteristics readily available to student leaders and organizations. This includes outdoor spaces when possible, including some unused athletic spaces.
Last updated Jan. 5, 2021. Information on this page may be updated as the University’s planning evolves and/or public health guidance prompts a shift in Brown’s operations and protocols.