The following points reflect the essential elements of Brown’s testing program:
- Testing is mandatory for all unvaccinated employees and students (those with approved exemptions and those who are in the process of getting vaccinated) and optional for all other employees, undergraduate, graduate and medical students who are on campus. Additional details are included below in the Testing Frequency section.
- All asymptomatic tests are taking place on Brown's College Hill campus and at One Davol Square in the Jewelry District.
Community members who meet the requirements for routine testing are asked to perform a self-administered nasal swab — the most reliable, accurate and non-invasive method available currently — and clinical personnel guide participants as needed from a safe distance. Brown continues to cover all costs. Full details on testing sites and operating hours are available on the Testing Sites and Hours page.
- Brown performs testing of symptomatic students through University Health Services (UHS) using nasopharyngeal swabs.
UHS staff are equipped with standard clinical personal protective equipment to perform the tests. An alternate campus site for testing symptomatic students has been identified to avoid congestion at UHS facilities where other students are visiting for other unrelated issues.
- Employees with COVID-19 symptoms should contact a health care provider and University Human Resources.
Per the University’s COVID-19 Campus Safety Policy, faculty and staff must stay home from work, inform University Human Resources and contact their medical provider if they experience symptoms of COVID-19, test positive for the virus or have been exposed to the virus through an identified contact.
- A robust contact tracing strategy is helping to minimize the risk of community spread.
Brown has implemented a contact tracing program, through which the University is notifying individuals who have been in contact with someone infected with novel coronavirus, coordinating with the Rhode Island Department of Health as necessary.