Critical to supporting the health of all who use campus facilities, and in particular dining and residence halls, is intensified levels of cleaning by University custodial staff. Brown’s Department of Facilities Management has developed and implemented, with the assistance of external consultants, a detailed plan for extra custodial support that underlies both Brown’s academic operations and overall campus plans.
An overview of the Healthy Fall Reopening 2020 Plan for Brown University Buildings is included as Appendix B in the Plan for a Healthy and Safe 2020-21.
Brown Facilities Management is engaged in operations for 2020-21 that include:
- Following current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration guidance and align cleaning frequency.
- Adjusting cleaning and disinfecting needs based on type of occupancy, intensity of use and hours of operations, resulting in increased routine cleaning and disinfection.
- Deploying touchless devices: soap and sanitizer dispensers, paper towels, faucets, door access, etc.
- Continuously monitoring and determining additional staffing needs (internal and external) based on enhancements, and realign existing staff to the shift that will provide the most effective service.
- Using products that meet Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) disinfection criteria.
- Encouraging students, faculty and staff to keep their personal items (e.g., cell phones, laptops and other electronics) and personal work and living spaces clean.
- Encouraging students, faculty and staff to use disinfectant wipes to wipe down shared desks, lab equipment and other shared objects and surfaces before use.
- Ensuring there is adequate ventilation when using cleaning products.
Intensified levels of cleaning by University custodial staff is critical to supporting the health of all who would use campus facilities.
Clean and disinfect all high-touch surfaces listed below on a regular and documented scheduled, performed Monday through Friday twice a day and daily on weekends:
- Chair handles and backs
- Toilet and urinal flushometers
- Trash receptacle tops and handles
- Paper towel and toilet tissue dispensers
- Sink faucets and handles
- Table tops
- Tablet arms and brackets
- Kiosk buttons
- Light switches
- Stair rails
- Elevator buttons outside and inside elevator cabs
- Toaster oven fronts and handles
- Water fountains and hydration stations
- Vending machine buttons
- Microwave front buttons and handles
- Refrigerator handles and doors