Critical to supporting the health of all who use campus facilities, and in particular dining and residence halls, is intensified levels of cleaning by University custodial staff. Brown’s Department of Facilities Management has developed and implemented, with the assistance of external consultants, a detailed plan for extra custodial support that underlies both Brown’s academic operations and overall campus plans.
Brown Facilities Management has been actively engaged in operations for 2020-21 that include:
- Following current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration guidance and align cleaning frequency.
- Adjusting cleaning and disinfecting needs based on type of occupancy, intensity of use and hours of operations, resulting in increased routine cleaning and disinfection.
- Deploying touchless devices: soap and sanitizer dispensers, paper towels, faucets, door access, etc.
- Using products that meet Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) disinfection criteria.
- Encouraging students, faculty and staff to keep their personal items (e.g., cell phones, laptops and other electronics) and personal work and living spaces clean.
- Encouraging students, faculty and staff to use disinfectant wipes to wipe down shared desks, lab equipment and other shared objects and surfaces before use.
- Ensuring there is adequate ventilation when using cleaning products.
- Custodial Services cleans and disinfects high-touch surfaces seven days per week.