Dining and Catering
Plans for dining services on campus have been developed with a focus both on how to feed students safely and sustainably — including those who may be in isolation or quarantine — and how to protect the health and safety of dining workers in the workplace. Priority operations for Brown Dining Services in 2020-21 will be oriented toward providing food to students, with facilities limited and operating on a takeout and pickup basis only.
For the most up-to-date information on the status of campus dining, consult the policies currently in effect on the Campus Activity Status page.
For students on meal plans, access to dining will look different to ensure everyone’s health and safety, including the safety of the Dining Services staff. With regard to student dining, plans include the following:
- For undergraduate and graduate students on meal plans, Brown will offer grab-and-go meals only in the fall.
- Three among the largest dining halls — Sharpe Refectory, Andrews Commons and Verney-Woolley — will be open for food pickup, with students assigned to specific locations and times to manage lines and reduce density among diners. The transition of food carts to a vending program is being explored.
- Meals will be delivered directly to students in isolation or quarantine on campus.
- The University will continue a robust and aggressive health and safety plan based on its Spring 2020 experience, including social distancing among staff, mandatory face coverings and intense cleaning.
- Brown will plan to expand socially distanced in-person dining options for 2020-21 should health and safety circumstances and state guidance permit.
Dining Services will offer a more limited number of meal plan options, all of which will have double the standard number of flex points for students to use at eateries and vending. Students who will be on campus in Fall 2020 will make their initial meal plan selection when they complete the fall plans form and can make changes to their plan until August 31. As always, those who have dietary needs beyond traditional and vegetarian/vegan offerings can connect with Dining Services’ registered dietitian to ensure those needs are met.
For more information, please consult the Brown Dining Services website:
The University has advised faculty and staff approved to work on campus to anticipate limited food options and to plan to bring their own lunch or other meals/snacks from home (non-refrigerated or in a personal cooler).
Dining options for faculty and staff approved on campus will be limited to self-serve vending machines in fixed locations, which will be sanitized multiple times daily, and pickup/delivery.
Dining services are available through August to all employees from the Brown to Table curbside pickup program offered by the Brown Faculty Club. Those who are not members of the Brown Faculty Club are encouraged to apply via Workday — all faculty and staff are eligible to join the club at no cost.
As the fall semester begins, services will be offered on a grab-and-go basis at the Blue Room in the Stephen Robert ’62 Campus Center. Safety guidelines must be followed when visiting dining locations.
Last updated Oct. 5, 2020. Information on this page may be updated as the University’s planning evolves and/or public health guidance prompts a shift in Brown’s operations and protocols.